Start Browsing
  Loading... Please wait...
Stock Music for Media Production - Music Licensing Made Easy
Stock Music Library
Questions? Call Customer Support
1-888-316-0971 (Toll-Free)
1-718-965-9230 (International)
Start Browsing

FAQ and Help

Music Licensing Questions

What does this website do? 
UniqueTracks is a business that offers a constantly growing collection of music recordings that you can easily license directly from this site to use in commercial or personal media projects.  You purchase a license by placing the track in your shopping cart.  Once you've made payment, an email is sent to you containing a link whereby you can download the master recording to your computer.  

By obtaining a license you gain the legal permissions necessary to use the recordings in your own work.  Licenses can be priced differently depending on how you wish to use the music.

The term stock music is often associated with a business like ours.  Stock media companies provide ready-made media content that can be legally added to your work in a matter of minutes.  Stock Photo and Stock Footage sites have a similar function to this site.

How is UniqueTracks different?
Our experience has led us to believe that the greatest challenge for customers on sites like ours is managing the speed of the search process.  Reducing the time it takes to find workable music is the main thrust of our site.  To that end, we do not offer a library of hundreds of thousands of tracks.  Rather, our library is somewhat narrow, with each track having to pass an ‘ear test’ as to its functionality as soundtrack.  We hope that by raising the quality/functionality bar at the outset, you will reduce the time it takes to find the track you need.

How does your pricing work?
You can see our pricing rate card here.  License rates are based the type of use and the media in which the music recordings will reside.

What types of productions can I use the music in?
You can use this site to license music for:

  1. Advertising
  2. Corporate Use (Training Videos, Presentations, Meetings)
  3. Film Synchronization
  4. Internet Streaming
  5. Mobile Apps
  6. Music On-Hold
  7. Television
  8. Radio
  9. Theater
  10. Video Games
  11. Student Productions

Types of uses not listed here are also possible.  Contact us for a custom quote.

Using our music to create your own Private Label audio CD (as a giveaway, company gift, or for sales) is very possible but we use a different type of license called a ‘Mechanical’ License.  Please contact us for a Mechanical License rate card.

Is the music on this site royalty free?
Yes & No.  Although UniqueTracks wrote royalty free licenses exclusively in the past, the company has moved away from this type of licensing as usages have greatly expanded.  We have dropped the vagaries and indistinctness of the royalty free bundle of rights in favor of licensing our recordings specifically to the usage that you intend to make.  Licenses and prices are calculated right on the site depending on the usage you need.  

Our licenses are similar to royalty free licensing in that in most cases you will have the option to purchase a perpetual license that grants rights to use a recording as often as you want.

What is Term or Duration of your license?
The term of the license depends on which license you purchase.  A “One Year” Term caps your usage after a year.  After that you would need to purchase a new license to keep using the track.  A license with the term “In Perpetuity” means you are licensed for that usage forever.

Can I upgrade the license term at a later date?
Yes, you can.  If you would like to upgrade the license in any way, please contact us.

Can I download demo tracks to try before I purchase a license?
Yes.  Each product page has a link that will download a low-resolution (mono) .mp3 file to your computer.  You can use it as an audition track in your edit timeline. Non-licensed tracks have a watermark that says “UniqueTracks Production Music Library” every minute or so.  Licensed masters will not contain this watermark.

What formats are your master files delivered in?
When you purchase a license, you will download master files as stereo WAV files.  A high-resolution .mp3 file (256 kbps) is also included in the master file download.  You get the lossless WAV format and the compressed .mp3 format.

Do I have to report or fill out cue sheets for the music I buy?
If you have licensed a track for In Program broadcast on television or radio then a cue sheet must be submitted to the broadcasting company with your production.

In Program broadcast of UniqueTracks recordings is cleared through the performing rights society BMI, ASCAP or SESAC whose revenues are collected directly from broadcast station licensing, not from you as a producer. All crediting information for TV broadcast can be found in your license pdf file.

Please indicate the song title on your cue sheet for the broadcast company.  To view an example of what a cue sheet looks like when it is all filled out, please click this link, To view a blank cue sheet which you can print out for your own use, click here.

What is a cue sheet?
A cue sheet is a printed listing of music cues used within the course of a broadcast production. Each cue references the composer and publisher of the music cue along with the amount of time the track plays within the production.

Each cue must also be given a usage designation. These tell how the music was used within the production.

For example:

  • Opening Theme Music
  • Background Instrumental Music
  • Background Vocal Music
  • Visual Instrumental (No dialogue)
  • Closing Theme Music

Cue sheets are submitted by you to the broadcast company and are filed with the applicable Performing Rights Society (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, SOCAN, etc).

To view a blank cue sheet which you can print out for your own use, click here.

Do I have to credit the composer or list the track title in my production?
You do not, however crediting the composer that created the track is always appreciated.  The composer information can be found on your license.

Can I add vocals or lyrics to your recordings?
No, You cannot add your own lyrics, vocals or other instrumentation to our existing tracks to create your own song. There are just too many legal, publishing and copyright issues involved to make this practical.

Can I include some of your music in my company’s new promotional/gift or Private Label CD?
Yes, you can but doing so requires a special license from us.  We have had several customers release our music on company promo CDs. Popular choices for this seem to be our Christmas music and Classical music tracks.

Releasing our music tracks on a promotional CD produced by your company requires our “Mechanical Use” (also called Master Use) license.  Essentially this license grants you the ability to manufacture your own CDs using our music as sole or partial content.

The cost of a Mechanical Use License depends on two factors:

  • The number of CDs you are going manufacture
  • The total combined time of the tracks you are licensing 

The manufacturing component of the license is divided into tiers with an incremental fee structure.

Tier 1 -> 1 - 1,000 units
Tier 2 -> 1,001 - 2,500 units
Tier 3 -> 2,501 - 5,000 units
Tier 4 -> 5,001 - 10,000 units
Tier 5 -> 10,001 - 50,000 units 
Tier 6 -> 50.001 - 75,000 units
Tier 7 -> 75,001 - 100,000 units
Tier 8 -> Greater than 100,000 units (unlimited)

We have done our best to make the Mechanical Use License affordable to all business types. If you you are interested in using our music in this way, please call us toll free (US/Canada) at (888) 400-2149 or International call 1-718-965-2318 or send us email with your request.

Please fill out the form below with any licensing questions.

   Full Name:
*  Email Address:
   Company Name:
   Phone Number:
   Order Number:
   RMA Number:
*  Details:
*  Captcha Check: